Unit4 What’s the best movie theater?
Section A Period 1(1a-1c)
1. Students can understand and know how to use the following words, phrases and sentences:
1) theater, comfortable, seat, screen, popular, close, ticket, worst, cheaply
2) big screens, comfortable seats, best sound, buy tickets quickly, close to home, new movie
3) What’s the best movie theater?
Which movie theater do you like best?
It has the biggest screens.
It’s the most popular.
2. Students can use superlative degrees to describe movie theaters and other places.
3. Students can choose what’s best for them.
1. Students learn some phrases about movie theaters.
2. Students learn some sentence structures to describe movie theaters.
3. How do students use superlative forms to describe things or places.
How do students use superlative forms to describe things or places.
1) Students review the formation of superlative degrees and how to change a word into its superlative forms.
2) Show a photo of three students, ask and answer:
Who is the tallest/shortest/heaviest/thinnest?
3) Show three pens of different colors, ask and answer:
Which is the longest/shortest, the blue one, the pink one or the white one?
4) Ask and answer:
What subject do you like best?
Which subject is the most intereting?
Step2. Lead in.
Enjoy a short movie. Ask students if I want to see the movie, which cinema should I go to? Which cinema is the best?
Step3. Show students the picture of three local cinemas, and students learn the phrases of how to describe a cinema. For example: the biggest screens, the most comfortable seats and so on.
Step4. Students read and remember these phrases, and then do some exercise using these phrases.
Step5. Have a discussion. Students were divided into three groups, each group represent a movie theater. Have a discussion of why their own cinema is the best.
Step6. Give a presentation. Each group choose a reporter to tell the class why their own cinema is the best and invite everyone to come to their cinema. After the presentation, students choose which one is the most popular.
Step7. Do the listening practice of 1b on the book.
Step8. Pair works. Besides movie theaters, there are many other places in the neighborhood such as supermarkets, bookstores and coffee shops. Students choose one of them to talk about which is the best and why.
Step8. Summary. Go over the key phrases and sentences.
Step9. Do some exercises about the use of comparative degrees and superlative degrees.